Experiences I can live without

Let me tell you a story of a man who never been into operating theater. When he finally does, here the out come.

On the 10th May’10, I was wheeled into the a special room for colonoscopic procedure. The anesthetic doctor was making a small talk and before I knew it, I passed out.

The doctor had inserted that long tubing camera during my sleep and I have a CD given by the same doctor in case I would like to see my own colon.

They have given me a small dose of general anesthesia to pass me out and then injected epidural to numb my waist down. I had woken up twice during the procedure(haemorrhoidectomy) and could hear all the clanking sound of surgery equipment. I felt no pain. I did not even open my eyes. For so long, I wanted to see those big and bright operation theater’s special lights and yet I could not open my eyes.


Two days later I was discharged.

Nursed myself at home and on the 21st May, then I felt confident to accompany my friend to a shoppping complex. I walked gingerly and wore a ladies pad in case, the urge would come involuntary which quite often after the surgery. The doctor called it post surgery spasm.

While walking, I felt wet and quickly dash to the nearest toilet. The pad I was wearing is now smeared with a dark clotted blood. Then, I felt the urge the pass motion number two and I had to do it right away. Relieve I did and I could feel vividly those lumpy clots passing through my anal carnal and they were all, blood clots.

I was then rushed by my friend to the ER at the hospital where the operation had taken eleven days ago. While waiting to be examined, I had had a constant urge to pass motion. Every time I went to the toilet, all I did was passing motion that full of dark red blood and no traces of feces, they were all blood.

The fourth time that I felt the urge to go the toilet, I could no longer standing up. The world was spinning and the attending doctor asked me to just defecate in the bed if I feel the urge.  I did just that. My groin area and thighs were feeling warm with blood that accumulated with each passing minute.   Now, I felt cold and giddy. My teeth were clunking  and clenching at the same time. My friends told me after the surgery that I was talking nonsense during this period. I could not remember what I had said. What I can remember was, begging the anesthesiologist not to administer an epidural if I have to go for an emergency operation. I had a  bad case of urine retention after the first procedure and had to be catheterized. I did not want to go through that again.

My primary doctor came and reassured me that I was in good hands. I signed the paper to authorize my second operation and immediately I was wheeled to the operation theater.This time, as they place me onto a special bed in the theater, finally I could see those lights that we often see in the movie. A bright cluster of white lights facing my face.

The doctors and nurses were making jokes and tried to calm me down. One of them even suggested that I should treat them a nice dinner after the surgery for making them coming to the hospital. I did not even realize when did they actually injected or administered that special drug in knocking me down. I was in the ward by the time I have waken from the sleep. It was at about mid night on the 21st of May.

My friends were there but I fell asleep right again after that. At three in the morning, I had an urgent urge to urinate and called a nurse. She gave me a special decanter for me to do in bed. Tried in vain and yet I could not do it. I persuaded her to allow me at least to do it standing next to the bed and she relented to my plea. It took a good five minutes to command the urge to relive itself and as I did just that, I passed both urine and “defecating” at the same time. There it was, another huge lumpy blood splattered on the floor. I climbed my bed, the nurse called her colleagues and paged for a doctor. The on-call doctor came and advised the nurse not to clean the mess and she needed to call the primary doctor who had performed the surgery. At five in the morning, the primary doctor came, looked at the blood and re-examined my bottom.

With the heave of a heavy breathing, he told me that I will have to go for another surgery in the morning.

The procedures are now replayed. And the operating theater is now no longer a strange place for me. At least.


2 thoughts on “Experiences I can live without

Add yours

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Create a free website or blog at WordPress.com.

Up ↑

%d bloggers like this: